Review: I Miss You When I Blink: Essays

I Miss You When I Blink: Essays I Miss You When I Blink: Essays by Mary Laura Philpott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book earlier this year and completely forgot to write a review or put it on my list. I had the pleasure of reading it in great anticipation of Mary Laura coming to our small town independent bookstore and being a part of a Reader's Retreat. Being local, I did not participate in all of the weekend's activities, however I was able to go to the live podcast recording. She is a gem. The terrific thing is that her writing matches her personality, in that you feel as though you know her, even though you don't.
This is a collection of essays about life in the South as a woman growing up and becoming an adult in this environment. She was born and lives in the South and this is reflected in the stories. For me as the reader and also a mother, professional woman living in the South, I found a lot of relatable situations. My favorite is her story about volunteering at her children's school and getting drawn into it with her overachiever personality. Not surprisingly she wound up as Chairperson for a big fundraiser. I myself have gotten into this type of situation and it becomes a lot of beneficial but time-consuming work. In looking back, it is a situation you can laugh at and learn something about yourself from having done, but also be happy to pass along to the next one up. Her stories are entertaining and readable in large or small bites.
Definitely a must read.
##IMissYouWhenIBlink #AtriaBooks

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...