Review: What Lies Between Us

What Lies Between Us What Lies Between Us by John Marrs
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am officially hooked on John Marrs books! I first read The Passengers about a year or so ago and then What Lies Between Us came up and I grabbed it.
This was another page-turner that did not disappoint. Interestingly though, it is a very different thriller than his previous books. There is nothing futuristic or Science Fiction feeling in this one. It is a pure domestic thriller, but different from others in this group, because the tension is between mother and daughter.
For reference, I did not read (and have not read) the blurb about this book so I went into it without a frame of reference. This added to the suspense, in my opinion. This begins as a mother/daughter pair who live in the family home together in England. The daughter works at the library and appears to be caring for an ailing mother at their home. The story quickly becomes twisted as you realize that Mummy Dearest is not just a recluse (I was initially thinking The Woman In the Window), but actually something more sinister. As you turn the pages, the story is told in both dual POV and dual timelines. This backstory alters your impression of these characters as well as your understanding of events.
The chapters are short and page-turning. The story moves with twists and turns and is well worth the ride.Another terrific story from this author.
Highly recommend.
#Netgalley #WhatLiesBetweenUs #AmazonPublishingUK

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...