Review: The Sun and Her Flowers

The Sun and Her Flowers The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a remarkably powerful collection of poetry covering topics such as feminism, relationships, rape/sexual assault, immigration, love and family ties. It is divided up into five sections: wilting, falling, rooting, rising and blooming.There are many powerful poems in this collection. I think those that spoke most poignantly to me were those dealing with rape and sexual assault, such as one entitled "home". Another jarring poem is the description of being taught that saying "no" as a child was not allowed and disrespectful to adults and how this affects one's future ability to consent.
I enjoyed several of the short poems regarding feminism and empowerment. However, I think my absolute favorite is "the art of growing". This is a powerful and beautifully written poem about young women as they mature out of childhood. It really touched home, as I watch this change occur in my daughter.
I adored this collection and highly recommend it, even if poetry isn’t your usual thing.
#TheSunandHerFlowers #RupiKaur #andrewsmcmeelpublishing

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...