Review: The Hive

The Hive The Hive by Barry Lyga
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Interesting YA dystopian-esque view of asking the question of what would life look like if social media got even more out of hand? I say dysopian-esque because, honestly many of these concepts are sadly already in play today. Social media is out of control today. It affects how our children view daily life, in terms of "polls" for every decision they make all the way to governments announcing policy decisions by Tweet. And juries of popular opinion becoming mobs of angry citizens who view video footage of an event that is taken on someone's camera phone. Are people ever "innocent until proven guilty in court" anymore? Or is our system so tainted by social media that most have decided their opinions prior to any real trial?
This book tries to address this idea in the scope of teen angst. The premise is good. It reminds me of a mixture of "The Passenger" and "The Circle" and "Scythe". I enjoyed it. I would have liked for it to be a bit more true dystopian, in that meaning, further removed from today's reality.
I would recommend it for those that like the above books listed or similar sorts of books.
#TheHive #NetGalley #KidsCanPress

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...