A Decent Life: Morality For the Rest of Us by Todd May




A Decent Life: Morality for the Rest of Us


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I'm not certain why I initially was drawn to this book. I don't usually go for philosophical works that become complicated by their own meandering topics. This was different. I was drawn into the discussion, just as I imagine Dr. Todd May draws students into discussions within his classrooms. He begins with a review of some of the more theoretical aspects of decency and morality and so forth, but he does it in a way that kept me with him and I continued on into the later chapters that really get into more "bread and butter" topics, like how do you apply the theoretical to real life, especially in this day and age when everyone seems to want to be on one team or the other with zero commonality? 
I really appreciated the eye-opening views covered in chapter three: "Widening the Circle" and chapter five: "Politics and Decency". Both of these chapters were a refreshing look at how to think about treating our fellow human beings, how to care for the environment and how to be civil in a discordant environment. There were some terrific examples of these scenarios that occur in all of our daily lives that we can choose to handle one way or another and how to think about what would be a moral, decent approach to a given situation. 
This will be a book that I go back to I'm sure and consider the ideas repeatedly.
Thank you Dr. May for this jam-packed book that has me thinking.

#ADecentLife #NetGalley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...