The Atlas Of Reds And Blues by Devi S. Laskar

40723304

✩✩✩✩

Very well done and interesting voice of an Indian-American who was born and raised in small town southern America and how despite her upbringing, her experience was met with constant questions about her origins. I live in the rural south and would say that this portrayal is true for all people who are not originally from here, however, can only be magnified by anything that makes you stand apart from the norm. Whether that be race, religion, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. Just having a Yankee accent, and by that I mean, not of the region of the south you happen to be living in, although definitely the true north applies the most, will set you apart forever in the eyes of locals. Absolutely a skin color or ethnicity that is novel will be met with many questions and I felt like this author addressed this well. 
I appreciate books that require thought outside our silos and this had some features that felt right at home, made me laugh out loud because I recognized the comments, but also guided me to imagine how we interact with all people. Those who don't look the same or maybe have the same religious beliefs or ethnic backgrounds. Shouldn't we be respecting all people regardless? That feels universal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...