Review: Degrees of Difficulty

Degrees of Difficulty Degrees of Difficulty by Julie E. Justicz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I chose this book specifically because of my proximity to the subject and it hit home for me. Spot on. This is a well written book about a 14-year-old boy with severe neurological and developmental disabilities and his family who must adapt to living with this reality. I work with people like Ben everyday through my work and see the difficulties families go through. I also have a special needs child, who is not nearly as ill as Ben but at times seems to have also needed all the oxygen in the room. It is a draining and difficult situation for an entire family. One that seems to either break you or make you stronger. I felt like this was a realistic look at the impact really any serious, chronic illness can have on a person and their family. Some of the family members handle it one way and some another. Realistically this ebbs and flows over time, with some siblings needing more attention at times than others. This book did a terrific job in showing a realistic, rather than glorified view of this life and the difficulties within it. There are rewards, that are glamorized on Hallmark specials, and many more hard times and challenges that are overlooked and simply unknown by the outside world. From the seriousness of the medical issues to the communication problems to the guilt and heartbreak with trying to place someone in a group home. The list is endless.
This is a much appreciated work that should be highly recommended for families with special needs individuals, to know that they are not alone.
#DegreeOfDifficulty #Netgalley ##Fomite #JulieEJusticz

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...