Review: The Topeka School

The Topeka School The Topeka School by Ben Lerner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I first picked up this book, I was not interested in the story and had a difficult time becoming intrigued by the story. But, then the audiobook came out and it was terrific. This story is an semi-autobiographical book based on Lerner's life story from high school to university and forward.
I really was surprised at how compelling each section of the story was. The characters were rich and well developed and interesting. I enjoyed the variety in the different aspects of the stories. The storyline was compelling with a well written commentary on the social situation that young people are facing today. The insights into the origins of today's toxic masculinity and "haters" who are an accepted part of the online world are thought-provoking.
I also enjoyed the way language is used in so many different ways, including as a manipulation tool during debate competitions. These are insights that are not well known to non-debaters so it is interesting in the way language is used for and against an argument.
For those who had difficulty with the written version, I would highly recommend the audio version! This is a possible reread at some point.

#TheTopekaSchool #NetGalley #FarrarStrausandGiroux

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...