Review: The Grace Year

The Grace Year The Grace Year by Kim Liggett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I certainly felt the references that have been made to a female Lord of The Flies, The Power and The Handmaid’s Tale. This novel was a dystopian thriller in this same vein. Overall, I enjoyed the story and liked the characters. I appreciated the independence and ability of survival that the female protagonist had throughout but that she still required trust in someone else in order to succeed. I also thought that the love interests were realistic given the circumstances. The character development and growth in the supporting characters could have been explored more thoroughly, in that some of these stories were interesting and it would have been great to see more about how these young women interacted once they returned from their year.
The most disappointing part of the novel was some of the scenes involving the girls in the Grace year camp were confusingly written and therefore difficult to follow. It felt like a scene would begin with a character headed into solitude and the next thing taking place would be a group of them arguing, fighting or other similar action. These areas were not as well written in my opinion as the other parts of the book.
Overall, I enjoyed the book as a whole as well as the message that it sent to women (and the men in their lives).
#TheGraceYear #NetGalley #StMartinsPress

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...