Gingerbread by Helen Oyeyemi



41852873

⭐⭐⭐⭐
This is my first Helen Oyeyemi novel. I listened to the audiobook and thoroughly enjoyed the author’s own voice reading the story. This added a lot to the atmosphere of the book. I also like this type of story, a fairy tale retelling but in this case with some magical realism thrown into it. 
The negatives for me were that the story was, at times difficult to follow, especially listening to it. This may have been simply because of the type of story but also because sometimes the characters had multiple names, or more directly, they changed who was a given character if that makes sense without spoiling anything. This did cause me to backtrack a couple of times but I still enjoyed listening to this story and maybe would like to go back and read the hard copy in the future and see how that experience differs. 

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys this style of book and will pick up other titles by this author in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Best book of the Year!

Review: The Book of Accidents

The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig My rating: 5 of 5 stars This book! Wow. It is a wild ride. It is a...